03082022 - Boundaries and Relaying Expertise
03082022 - Boundaries and relaying expertise
- Meditation going well, could use improvement
- Didn't set up a Scripting day, but going to
- Found some cool ADHD resources
Relaying expertise in to action
- One way to be a good manager is to have a sense of people and organizational dynamics.
- People don't listen to logic and rational as well as they connect to feelings and emotion.
- Swaying/convincing requires an emotional expression - just relying on data doesn't always do the job.
- Address the resistance and follow up with "and yet..."
- Don't say "but...", say "and..."
- What are the other stakeholders currencies?
- I can't give them a currency they don't understand, I need to make them understand why it's useful.
- Get perspective before trying to convince others
- Look for commonalities and pain points
- What is a compromise we could make?
- Yes to one thing, no to something else
- Creating a picture often helps people put things into perspective
- What would be motivating to building RFCs?
Adding new things to your plate
- What is a good way to let go of one thing before I let go of something else?
- Developing boundaries (with others or with yourself)
- "Here is the boundary"
- "You've stepped over my boundary"/"You are about to step over that line"/"I'd like something in return" (negotiation)/"My line isn't moving, but I'm allowing this this time"
- "No"/"Next"/"This isn't helping me and I'm taking care of myself"
- Setting boundaries supports both parties
- If I don't set boundaries, then others will fail, since I can't do everything
- I have to recognize my own boundaries and respect those
- Be transparent
- "I'd love to do that, but I know I am bad about taking on too much. Can I have some time to think about this to determine how much I can take on right now?"
- Schedule Scripting day!
- Continue meditation -
- Consider RFC process and relaying expertise